If you want to be successful, you’ve got to be great at influencing others. Some believe that being good at your job is enough to deserve recognition and success. Sure, that helps but if you want to be really successful, you’ve got to be good at influencing too.
Having specialized in this area for many years, my research and experience has identified seven key areas which lie at the heart of influencing skill. It has also led to the recognition that accurate assessment on how you measure up is necessary so that you can focus your personal development where it will have the greatest impact.
The Seven Critical Elements of Influencing Skill
1. Self Awareness: The better you know yourself, the more likely you are to be able to influence other people. This self awareness helps you to understand what you are capable of, what your limitations are and what you need to do to leverage the greatest influence.
2. Understanding Others: The ability to know what drives people; how they think; how they react, is critical. This establishes a firm foundation upon which you can determine the most appropriate approach to influence.
3. Understanding Groups: The workplace is a social organization and comprises of many different groups, both formal and informal. Understanding them, however they work, however they get results will give you with several opportunities to achieve influence a lot of quickly and totally.
4. Influencing Individuals: This is the most talked about area of influence and cannot be avoided. You need to be able to influence people on a one-to-one basis first and foremost. From this base you can then develop more sophisticated approaches to influence.
5. Networking: Networking is often seen as the differentiator between the good and the great influencers. To be able to work the room and build a wide array of good personal contacts develops an extremely useful resource which you can call on when you need to, for support, information and advice.
6. Influencing Groups: Influencing groups of people is far more efficient that focusing just on individuals. With your understanding of how the different groups around you function, you can develop strategies to maximize your influence and speed up the results you get.
7. Building Trust: Research has demonstrated that in the absence of trust, successful influence is unlikely. Therefore the person accomplished in influencing others are able to act during a manner that builds trust with the folks they’re operating with.
Beneath each of these elements lies a multitude of different skills to master, all of which can help you to become more influential – forty two to be precise. Working out where to focus your personal development to become more effective requires that you know how good you are at each of these. It also helps if you can get valuable feedback from those who work around you – those who see you in action on a regular basis at work. By focusing on the individual skills which lie at the heart of successful influence you can greatly increase your upward potential because you’ll be developing the skills which will make the difference for you.
TIPS TO DEVELOP YOUR INFLUENCING SKILLS
A combination of communication and social skills can assist you to urge the results you wish. Below area unit some sensible hints to assist develop your powers of influencing whether or not you wish a call from your boss, AN “awkward” peer to assist you or a shopper to just accept your new costs.
1. produce RAPPORT
Create rapport with the person you’re making an attempt to influence – it should sound like good judgment however if they like and trust you there’s a bigger chance that you simply are ready to persuade them
Listen and show you’re listening. If somebody feels valued they’re a lot of seemingly to be persuaded to your purpose of read
3. raise the correct queries
Use questioning techniques to steer folks towards the answers you would like
4. bear in mind OF visual communication
Mirror the opposite person’s visual communication to make higher rapport
5. SELL the advantages
Sell the advantages of your argument to the opposite person and take a look at to ascertain your position from their perspective
6. BE RELAXED
A relaxed ANd natural manner is a lot of seemingly to attain a winning outcome instead of an emotional or exacting approach. Demonstrating a natural confidence can facilitate to steer others that your concepts area unit smart
7. INVEST it slow
Influencing isn’t a fast fix. It will take time to develop fellow feeling and awareness however you’re a lot of seemingly to urge what you would like if you play an extended game
Do Influencing and Negotiation Skills Compliment Each Other?
Often when we think of negotiating and influencing, what comes to mind is the slick car salesman who is churning out every trick in the book to sell you a mediocre yet overpriced car. As much as we realize that we may be being taken for a ride, the passionate spins of the salesman can be very persuasive. But is there more to negotiating and influencing than just charisma and rhetoric? The answer is a resounding YES! Understanding basic human psychology is essential to this and in this article we are going to look at some key distinctions and advantages of differentiating between influencing and negotiating.
Negotiating begins with listening to the needs of your listener. Often the temptation for the negotiator is to speak before he or she can listen but this results in missing out on hearing the important needs of the customer or client. The negotiator cannot make an intelligent offer without first knowing the expectations of the other party. This makes for effective negotiating. This of course entails that all the parties involved must make a conscious effort to see things from the other party’s perspective. This of course begins with establishing trust. Coming to an agreement that is mutual is hard if either party is wary of the other. This entails knowing when to make concessions or compromise. Body language also plays an important part in communicating openness and establishing mutual respect and trust. When it comes to negotiating, it is also crucially important to establish common ground – areas where multiple parties do see eye to eye. It is easier to work through areas of differences knowing that the parties involved start from a mutual place of agreement. Negotiation skills is something that can be honed effectively with awareness and sensitivity.
Influencing begins by developing a reasoned line of argument that is backed by logic and rationale. In this situation people need to be moved more by facts and practical benefits than by emotional or rhetorical sentiments. This also involves tactfully disagreeing with people’s views without making them feel defensive or judged. This could entail carefully showing flaws in the other person’s views while highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of your own position. This also entails using positive language but also emphasizing the positive aspects of one’s arguments. Influencing is just as much about getting one’s agenda across in a calm and persuasive manner as much as it is about the cold hard facts of the argument itself. When making one’s case it is important to positive arguments in a calm and assertive manner than simply disagreeing or asserting one’s perspectives over and above those of your opinions.